Thursday, October 24, 2013

Hearty, Healthy, Satisfying

When you eat breakfast, lunch or dinner, do you feel satisfied? Do you savor the moment and the flavor and do you give yourself time to slow down and enjoy your meal? I try to but I don’t always succeed.

Most of my dinner time meals are relaxed and wholesome. My breakfasts and/or lunches aren’t always slow and enjoyed. Sometimes I even make an odd choice for breakfast, I often do it backwards; remember I mentoned I love sandwiches? Too often a breakfast choice for me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s usually a healthy sandwich filled with spinach or a lot of green leafy lettuce and leftover meat or sometimes completely vegetarian-it depends on leftovers. For lunch I’ll often make a hummus or avocado dip and eat that and carrots, celery, broccoli or cauliflower. Sandwiches and dips…my favorite foods.

Last night I had the desire to make split pea soup since there was a mild chill in the air and nothing smells better than a homemade soup simmering slowly. I didn’t follow a recipe, I rarely ever do-I’m not sure then why I’m addicted to cookbooks! The soup came out so delicious and it was simple to make so I thought I’d shaer the recipe with you.

Dawn’s Split Pea Soup
2 cups split peas, rinsed & drained
2-3 qts. water
3 bay leaves
1 tsp. salt
1/3 lb. bacon diced small ( I used bacon raised locally, Hollis Hills Farm)
Simmer low 1 hour, add
1 onion, chopped
3-4 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
2-3 stalks celery sliced thin
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
more water if needed-it should be thick but smooth
Simmer for 40 minutes longer. Add freshly ground black pepper & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!