Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Sprouting Makes Me Think of Spring

I love fresh vegetables that are in abundance spring through late fall. Usually around January-February I get a craving for fresh plants again; what you can buy even in the best stores don't quite measure up so I sprout lentils, mung beans, seeds such as broccoli, cabbage, and a variety of mixed leafy green seeds. I get my seeds from the local organic foods store or online from sproutpeople.org

Sprouting is simple all you need is a sprouting jar, seeds, beans,  or whole grains and 4-6 days.



I started mung beans and lentils 2 days ago, I used about 1/8 cup of each, I don't measure, I just fill the bottom of the jar about 1/4 inch or 2 layers of beans, fill the jar about half-full with water and let soak for 12-18 hours. Drain, rinse and drain again leaving the jar upside down for about 5 minutes. Then turn jar slowly to spread seeds or beans and lay on its side. Rinse twice a day for 4-6 days until they have sprouted fully and there's no room left in the jar. Transfer to a seal-able container and store in the refrigerator and use in sandwiches, salads, raw on top of soups & stews or eat plainly for snacking.

This is how they look today - I'll post more photos as they grow. I use a mason jar, I usually use the metal screw top that comes with the jars, I buy mesh squares that you use for needle crafts at the local craft store and cut circles to fit inside the lids - this is how you can easily rinse and drain twice daily.



Day 5 my sprouts are ready to enjoy. 

             

                 I spread them on a towel to dry, put them in a container
                 and stored them in the refrigerator. - of course I snacked
                 on a few good handfuls!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!